Monday, September 17, 2012

You should try these!

Here are a few tried and true recipes that you should all try. They are all tested by a vegan and a non-vegan eater and are all deliciously approved.

this has nothing to do with trying new recipes. just a cat, at the farmer's market, taking a snooze.

Vegan Quinoa and Sweet Potato Chili ~ Earthy, nutty, filling and easy to make! Next time I will try doing a light roast or saute on the sweet p's to give them more depth of flavor. I also added a can of diced green chilis.

Vegan Parmesan Cheese ~ Okay, so this one isn't tested and approved by two people, just me. No need for a parm substitute if you are eating cheese! But I think this stuff is indispensible and I have made it with both sesame seeds as the recipe states and walnuts. I actually like the walnuts better (even though I am not a walnut fan usually), and am going to try it with hemp seeds next time.

Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie ~ Oh my. This was incredible. I made it as my birthday treat, but given that we also had 7 layer dip two ways, none of us were all that interested in dessert. It does have sugar, but look! A no-sugar version with dates to sweeten! I am going to try this one next on a non-birthday-treat day.

Vegan Mac and Cheese ~ I've tried a few versions now, and I really like this one the best. Definitely change up the seasonings until it tastes right. It sometimes feels too sweet for me, in which case I use less roasted red pepper and add lots of savory seasonings. Pepper, if you're feeling peppery, for example :)

Hot Cocoa Fudge Babies ~ Which are very very delicious and which I refuse to call by their given name. I refuse to call any food a baby of any kind. I have thus renamed them POWERBALLS. Sounds a lot stronger, huh? They will knock the socks off you and you will be better for it. I've made several of my own adaptations, coming soon.

And lastly, Braised Coconut Spinach with Chickpeas and Lemon atop Roast Sweet Potatoes ~ Long name, sounds all fancy, but really it's good old-fashioned comfort food. Think a baked potato topped with chili, only a sweet potato topped with a tangy, creamy, beany, spinach sauce. On the menu this week and I can't wait.

Now go! Cook! Make healthy things to ingest and you will feel great!


No comments:

Post a Comment